Monday 26 November 2007

One for The Road

It was a beautiful day today, and I had lots to do inside and there were lots of tempting things outside. But what was I doing? Sitting inside reading a book a friend gave me to read.

Every now and again I find a book that I literally can't put down, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy is one of them. I was mesmerised by it.

McCarthy won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction this year with this book and I can see why.
The setting is a post-apocalypse world, and a father and his son are on a journey. The story is harrowing, shocking, terrible but also beautiful and moving. The prose is sparse and poetic. His descriptions of landscape are also haunting.

Get hold of a copy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you hold onto it till christmas so I can read it? or is it borrowed and you have to give it back?

Boobook said...

Hi Kerrie. It's borrowed but I think she'll let me keep it for you:)