Wednesday 8 July 2015

Pied Butcherbird's lunch

We camped for the night at Rankins Springs and found it to be a spot worthy of a revisit in spring because it looks like it's a very 'birdy' area - the natural bush is right on the edge of town. We were also intrigued to explore the railway infrastructure there because as its the end of the line it has a turntable as well as a huge watertank and grain silo structure.

Rankins Springs turntable
Rankins Springs 'end of the line'
Rankins Springs silo
So, here comes the natural history element to this blogpost. While I was photographing the railway line etc. I noticed a Pied Butcherbird on some fallen timber and casually took a couple of photos. Later I was looking at the photos on the computer and saw that the butcherbird was having lunch at the time! A reptile expert may even be able to identify his menu choice for me. I hope it's not a threatened species.

Pied Butcherbird and lunch.

2 comments:

macmsue said...

Poor little Skink but I guess just about everybody is somebody's lunch.

macmsue said...

Poor little Skink but I guess just about everybody is somebody's lunch.