Friday 29 August 2008

Point Addis

My toes start to curl and my stomach 'churns' - I'm on the edge of a cliff, any cliff, any edge, even in my dreams. But the best views are from the edge, so that's where I go - but not too close thank you.

This week I took my visitor to Point Addis near Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road. If you ever head down that way, don't drive past the signpost to the point. There are several walks from the carpark that make the diversion worthwhile. The views are spectacular and the heath wonderful.

The photo below is of the point from a spot on one of the walks, and shows the road leading to the point and the steps that take you down to the little beach. The second photo shows you one of the reasons why I don't like to get too close to the edge. It's so easy to forget that these cliffs look the way they do because they've eroded. That means that chunks fall into the water. That means I don't want to be there when that happens.

I'll give you another really good reason to visit Point Addis. The elusive Rufous Bristlebird can be seen there if you are prepared to just sit and wait. They regularly run around the carpark and nearby open spaces, and sit on top of the short bushes to sing. These two photos were taken by my friend Sigrid with her fantastic SLR.

4 comments:

mick said...

Fantastic views! and the birds alone would make it a great place to visit. Great photos!

Mosura said...

Terrific scenery and a Rufous Bristlebird to cap it off. Nice one!

Snail said...

I haven't been there for years. Top spot. Thanks for the pics!

Duncan said...

Good old Point Addis, a top spot for spotting albatrosses too.