Saturday 26 July 2008

Planting for the future

This morning I joined a group of locals in celebrating National Tree Day by planting some trees (and shrubs and grasses). The spot selected for us was on the south bank of the Barwon River, by a road that I use frequently. It will be very rewarding to watch the growth in the future. Recently a community group had a planting day in a recreation reserve near my house, and I think they've done a great job. But some of the people in the houses on the opposite side of the street are objecting because when the trees grow they will block out the view they currently have. The same thing happened to us. The trees planted in a reserve near us are now obstructing our view ... but we actually helped plant them so we can't complain.

My photographic contribution to National Tree Day is of a tree in my own garden, a Bell-fruited Mallee Eucalyptus preissiana. I mentioned it several months ago but at the moment it is in full flower in my north-facing front garden, and looks spectacular from the street. It only grows to a height of several metres, and is round in shape, so the flowers are shown to their best advantage.



1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

what an amazing looking bush!

Great idea to plant trees in a group.